Oct 31, 2006

Franco Farina


Next January, one of my favorite operas, Verdi's Don Carlos (French version of Don Carlo) is played at the Liceu, in Barcelona (Spain). I was wondering if I'd go. Now I know. I won't. Thanks to Franco Farina, playing Don Carlos. I listened live to the MET broadcast of Cavalleria Rusticana I was talking about yesterday (free re-run Feb.10, 2007, 1:30pm ET). Franco Farina was singing the part of Turiddu (the main male character). I am still shaken up by his poor performance (to use an euphemism). My God, this was awful. Kind of a nightmare. And to think I amputated my sleep for that. I hate his singing, especially his vibrato, always there, so irritating, so not right.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other blogs i saw today….
anyhow thanks for the good read!

Extatic said...

I'm most definitely not a journalist...

Anonymous said...

I heard that Ohio guy yesterday at the Théâtre de Champs Elysées trying to sing otello with Harteros. Ben Heppner was sick and Farina took the role. An absolute nightmare and a strong shame!