Jul 26, 2007

Bayreuther Festspiele



As the Bayreuth Festival opened yesterday, I, too, would love to be born a Wagner, so, by birth right, I could succeed my grandfather Wolfgang as artistic director.



If I was his granddaughter, I would start by, let's say, be the first woman ever to direct one of my great-grandfather operas in the Richard Wagner Festspielhaus.

I would chose Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, of course, because I could really express my talent in this comic tale, where I would focus on the conflict between tradition and innovation and the importance of art.

As usual with true artists, the public wouldn't understand my vision and would boo me on the opening night.

I would direct this, let's say, just before my thirties, then stage another of great-grand daddy's operas each year after that until I would help my grandfather finally retire from his 59-year career as artistic director in 2010 at the age of 90, allowing me, finally, to be the sole master on board.

Plus, of course, I would be gorgeous as hell.






No comments: